Eye Care Tips
The most precious attributes of all our senses, our eyes, need to be always protected and taken great care of, because, if there is some permanent harm incurred to the eyes, there is no way to restore it again.
When it comes to eye care, not even a minutest detail is to be missed. Healthy and sparkling eyes are our windows to this beautiful world. As all through the day we keep straining them in some way or the other, there should be some time in the day to pamper our eyes so that they do not become weak day by day and lose their power and vitality. To help you, we have chalked out some simple eye care tips that you can practice everyday to reap fruitful results in the sus tenance of your eyes in the long run.
- If your job requires you working on the computer throughout the day, you need to give your eyes a break every 20 minutes. This will not only relax your eyes a bit and reduce the eye strain, but will also boost productivity by cutting down your stress.
- When you are writing something (with your right hand), take care that the light is on your left hand side. This is to ensure that the shadow of your right hand does not hamper your writing and strain your eyes.
- Always use an umbrella and sunglasses when you step out in the sun. This is not just to save your skin, but also to minimize the harm caused to your eyes due to prolonged exposure to sunlight.
- Wash your eyes with clean water several times a day. Splash your eyes with cold water. This will soothe your eyes and clean out the dust.
- Your diet should be rich in beta-carotene and various vitamins, like, vitamin A, B, E and minerals. Try to consume papaya, egg, fish, milk and lots of green leafy vegetables as they are known to be good for your eyes.
- Another integral part of eyecare is drinking lots and lots of water everyday.
- If, of late, you have developed dark circles around your eyes, it is the time to give some serious attention to them. Check your lifestyle and sleep patterns. Also put slices of cucumber and potato on your eyes to lighten the dark circles.
- If your eyes feel stressed out and puffy, take a nap if possible for a small while.
- Soak cotton in lukewarm water and put it on your eyes. It is known to have a soothing effect on strained eyes.
- Make it a practice to blink your eyes at fixed intervals while working. Our blinking rate usually drops when we are working on the computer. This is a key reason of dry eye syndrome. Take care that you blink 12 to 15 times every minute.
- Lukewarm water with a little salt can be splashed on the eyes to cure red itchy eyes and cure minor eye infections.
- Here is a handy exercise for your eyes to relax them in between work. All that you have to do is to blink several times first. Then, close the eyes and then roll them, - first do it clockwise and after that, anti-clockwise. Breathe slowly while doing this. Slowly open your eyes. You will be able to feel the difference right away!
- For relaxing your eyes, there is yet another very unique and interesting exercise. Close your eyes, breathe deeply and think of something that is pleasant to you. Open your eyes and look at a distance. After that, shift your focus to the distance of an object at arm's length. Repeat this exercise in your breaks at least five times a day.
- Also, get an anti-glare screen fixed to your monitor or use anti-glare lenses especially when you are working on the computer. Also adjust the settings and the position of the monitor such that the glare from the screen is minimum.